Some days I wish I could be the type of ignorant, oblivious persons that seem to populate our world. But alas, I am not. I was born with a conscience and a strong will to live a healthy, non-toxic life. One where the FDA cannot shorten my lifespan without my permission. No, I've become the type of person who needs to do something, anything to take care of myself.
So what are some of the worst toxic offenders popular in today's beauty products? Here is a list of the top seven you need to watch out for.
- PARABENS: Parabens are synthetic chemicals used as antimicrobial and antifungal preservatives but are known as hormone disruptors and have been found in the tissue of breast cancer tumors.
- POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL (PEG): A family of synthetic chemicals that function in cosmetic formulations as surfacants, cleansing agents, emulsifiers, skin conditioners and humectants. PEG's are thought to increase cancer risks, including women's risk of breast cancer.
- PETROLEUM: Derived from crude oil, used to manufacture plastic, fertilizers and pesticides. Disrupts the natural protective layers of our skin.
- PHENOXYETHANOL: A synthetic chemical used in fragrances to kill bacteria. An extremely hazardous substance that is an irritant to skin and eyes and is toxic to kidneys, the nervous system, and the liver.
- PHTHALATES: A synthetic chemical commonly used in fragrances. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) put phthalates on a list of chemicals that "may present a risk" to the environment or human health because they disrupt hormone activity.
- PROPYLENE GLYCOL: A synthetic solvent which is a strong skin irritant and possible causes of liver abnormalities and kidney damage. Can easily penetrate the skin and weaken cellular structure. Commonly used in anti-freeze.
- SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE (SLS): A synthetic detergent that can be drying and harsh for the skin and hair, causes eye irritation and is a suspected gastrointestinal and liver toxicant.
*This information was taken from a brochure for Hugo Naturals. Visit them online here, on facebook, twitter, and youtube. Hugo Naturals is located at 21800 Nordhoff St. Chatsworth, CA 91311.
**I have not used any of Hugo Naturals products and am in no way promoting them; however according to EWG's Skin Deep Database, they have a Low-Moderate health risk based on chemicals and ingredients used in their product.