Thursday, May 17, 2012

DIY Updates

So I wanted to take a second and update you on some of the DIY ideas I've posted and that I've been doing myself.

So the first thing that I gave up, was deodorant. I had been using Tom's Naturally Dry Deodorant & Anti-Perspirant and was quite satisfied with it. However; in a drive to go all out natural and give up any products with toxic chemicals and hazards, I began using the isopropyl alcohol method. All you need to do is fill up a spray bottle with 91% rubbing alcohol (which most of us have lying around the house anyway!) and spritz on your pits! Yes, it stings mildly if you apply after shaving, but it's nothing that would deter you from this method.

Unfortunately I only had 70% Isopropyl Alcohol so I have been applying about 3x a day but so far I can honestly say maybe once I had a slight odor. I've gone hiking where I've worked up a decent sweat and I still felt fresh and didn't stink! I definitely recommend this method if you are looking to remove deodorant from your daily routine. Also, it's cheaper, and I never believe Boyfriend when he said that his deodorant made him smell more than if he quit wearing it all together. I now believe him. I always felt embarassed being a girl and having BO all the time, but since giving up deodorant I smell LESS than when I wore it, and when I do smell, it's the type that you have to literally bury your schnozz into your armpit to even smell and it's not the offensive odor you might get using regular deodorant sticks or sprays. I dare you to try it for a week!

If you are wondering why anyone would want to give up deodorant, I've found this article for you; and this one as well.

The second thing that I removed from my daily routine was shampoo and conditioner. I was definitely worried about this one, because I cherish my hair! I gave up dying it about 2-1/2 years ago, so for the first time since I was about 18 I have all healthy, naturally colored hair and I LOVE IT! What surprised me, is what shampoos and conditioners do. They strip your hair of their natural oils, which then causes your scalp to produce even MORE to help replenish what's been removed. So you know how you always pick up "For Oily Hair" products? Truth is, you might not truly have oily hair! It could be your products.

So instead of shampoo, I now "wash" with a paste mix of baking soda and distilled water. I have it in a squeeze bottle (however one with a spout would be MUCH more helpful to get it right down on your scalp) and just apply when I shower. Only once did I not rinse well enough and it left tiny white dots on some parts of my hair, but it was nothing that I couldn't brush out. It's been almost two weeks now since I've dropped the 'poo, and honestly, I will probably NEVER go back! My eczema is gone, I have no dandruff, and my head doesn't itch! When it would be about day 2 after washing my hair, my head would itch something awful and I'd go running for the shower! Not so, my friends! No longer do I have the urge to scratch at my scalp.

A negative is that once you drop the 'poo, your hair is still used to overproducing oils because it's been trained to do so from the years of shampoo/conditioner use. You might have a period of time where your hair is a bit more oily than you'd like. I think that's the stage I'm getting at now. But it's nothing that a few strategically placed ponytails, pigtails, or braids can't hide. AND it actually makes styling easier! So if your hair has never wanted to cooperate with curls or crimps or updo's, now is the time to try them! Or break out a trendy hat, beret, or beanie and stylize your daily look.

If you've tried these methods please let me know if you've had success!

Until Next Time,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment